Mage vs Dragon Soul 25man Heroic [4.3 Guide]
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mage vs Dragon Soul 25man Heroic [4.3 Guide]

Default Mage vs Dragon Soul 25man Heroic [4.3 Guide]

Bonjour fellow readers and welcome to Method's Dragon Soul Mage Guide !

As you all probably know, mage has been one of the best dps class for years, and great news everyone, it did not change in Cataclysm !
    In this guide I will try and cover up the different approaches a mage should chose on each Dragon Soul encounter.
    Your choice of spec will depend on your raid setup, but keep in mind that Fire is the best spec on every single encounter in Dragon Soul 25 man HC except Spine of Deathwing. So basically, if you are 25 man, and your raid does not have a retribution paladin or a beastmaster hunter in it, you or one of your fellow mage should be playing arcane for 3% Raid Damage boost. In any other case, just play Fire and enjoy topping the damage meters on every encounter !

Optimal Fire spec 5/33/3
    Optimal Arcane spec 33/5/3

Fire opening Mirror Image > Volcanic Potion > Pyroblast before engage. Then cast Flame Orb, apply Living Bomb and spam Fireballs to get 10 stacks of Stolen Time.

Arcane opening Volcanic Potion > Arcane Blast before engage. Cast Arcane Blastx2, cast Flame Orb, use Presence of Mind, cast Arcane Blastx7 for 10 stacks of Stolen Time, use Mana Gem + Arcane Power, cast Arcane Blastx1, use Mirror Image, spam Arcane Blast until ~35% mana.

General Fire tips

• One important point that a lot of mages seem to be missing is that with 4pt13 you HAVE TO FORCE your Combustion to happen every 1min10, so when your Combustion CD is about to be ready, you should be hardcasting a Pyroblast if you don't have a Hot Streak, and get ready to cast Combustion right as you see a high enough number on your CombustionHelper.

• Most Fire mages don't abuse Pyromaniac. Well it's wrong ! As soon as you can have dots on 3 targets, just do it ! It has to become automatic. Print this simple formula in your head : 3 targets = 10% haste.

• It is generally not worth casting Living Bomb or Flame Orb on a target if it will die early or become invulnerable before the explosion.

If you have more specific questions make sure to contact me ingame, on our mIRC channel #method @ Quakenet or by PM and I'd be happy to help you !

Optimal Spec Fire

Estimated DPS ranking TOP 3

Summary

Pretty short fight where Mage's utility is usually to soak Crystals. Blink and Scorch are very useful here if you don't want to lose dps just running around doing nothing. In a fight like this that requires so much movement, you will only make an impact if you manage your positioning in order to cast more Fireballs than other mages, so start checking the damage meters at the end and compare with other mages within your guild or on World of Logs ! Make sure you get inbetween rocks as fast as possible during Black Blood phase and resume casting Fireballs.
    You should be able to use Combustion 2 or 3 times here depending on your raid DPS.

Tips

• Remember to keep your distance from the boss if you are not supposed to soak Stomps with the tank.

Optimal spec Fire or Arcane

Estimated DPS ranking TOP 5

Summary

Mage's utility in this encounter is usually to soak the Void of the Unmaking on it's own with Cauterize. Otherwise, not being able to spread dots is not optimal for our spec here, so I guess Arcane is still pretty viable with it's high burst on Tentacles. You should be able to use Combustion 3 times here.

Tips

• Use Combustion once you have 10 stacks of Stolen Time, or wait for the Void of the Unmaking to hit the boss and pray for an insane ignite.

• Always use Flame Orb in direction of the boss, as he takes improved damage.

• Move as little as possible when going to soak the Void of the Unmaking, use Blink, and Scorch a few times, make sure you just refreshed Living Bomb when you start moving towards the ball, and possibly have a Pyroblast dot running also.

Optimal spec Fire

Estimated DPS ranking TOP 1

Summary

Pretty basic encounter once you figure out how to move as little as possible, and get lucky with Combustion ! Your raid should stand inbetween Green and Yellow for engage here, and stay at maximum range until the first Globules spawn. As a mage, you will only make an impact by doing great Combustion on Forgotten Ones here.

Tips

• Wait till the Globules spawn, if there is no Black or if you have to kill it, use Combustion on Yor'Sahj within 5-10 seconds so it will be up for the next Globules phase.

• Save your Mana Gem for when you run out of mana with Mana Void, if you still run out of mana during the first spawn, use Evocation.

• If you still struggle with mana during Mana Voids, switch to Mage Armor. Don't forget to reswitch to Molten Armor once you are comfortable with mana again though.

• Make sure you DPS Globules until they die because remember, Fire mages have an Execute Phase !

• You should not be using Scorch unless you have to apply Critical Mass on a new target in this encounter.

Optimal spec Fire

Estimated DPS ranking TOP 1 (25 Man)

Summary

Lots of movement here, you can finally spam Scorch without it being a dps loss in Frost phase ! Make sure to have Combustion up for Ice Tombs if 25 man, or Stunned Phase if 10 man ! Mages are awesome for this encounter as their mobility is excellent with Blink, their survival is awesome with Cauterize and Ice Block, and their AoE is the best for 25 man Ice Tombs !

Tips

• Depending on weapon animation, you can guess if it's going to be a frost phase or a lightning phase.

Optimal spec Fire or Arcane

Summary

Both Arcane and Fire specs are great here. Play Arcane only if your raid is lacking 3% Raid Damage boost, because Fire is great here for soaking Hour of Twilight with Cauterize. Make sure your UI is properly setup so you don't fail those Fading Lights ! As Fire, know that it is possible to get a 1 Million+ damage Combustion during the opening here, so never settle for less and trust your instincts (and CombustionHelper) !

Tips

• Don't cast Scorch at any point during this encounter.

Optimal spec Fire

Summary

Probably the hardest encounter in Dragon Soul. Playing Fire here helps with survivability, and since there is a lot of movement you don't want to be Arcane here. Make sure you always have Living Bomb running on 3 targets for Pyromaniac if you are not comfortable with standing still and spamming Fireballs. Try to use Scorch as little as possible because you really want those 10 stacks of Stolen Time. You should be able to spread dots if ground adds are being tanked next to one of the Twilight Assault Drakes. You will only make an impact here if you always have dots up and cast more Fireballs than other mages. The less you move, the better. But really, if you have a near perfect Living Bomb uptime here, you WILL perform.

Tips

• If melee adds are being tanked next to a gripped drake (hopefully they are!) try and Impact a Combustion early there if you get a huge number, if not, wait for 10 stacks of Stolen Time and do this with the next set of adds.

• Try to have Pyroblast dots running on multiple targets when you can.

Optimal spec Arcane

Estimated DPS ranking TOP 5-8

Summary

Pretty easy encounter if you have the correct macros. Arcane mages (even Fire mage with the correct opener) are totally awesome for Burning Tendons. Mana Shield and Mage Ward are very important here, make sure you bind those spells ! There should be no movement here besides for when you have to Barrel Roll, so make sure you stand still all the time and spam Arcane Blast. DPS control is very important here on Corruptions, since Arcane spec is awesome for breaking Fiery Grips, you will have to understand the mechanics here. Breaking a Fiery Grips usually requires DPSing between 18-24% of their max hp's (4 grips per Corruption). As a mage you can also keep the balance on Deathwing's back : have all your raid stand on one side and you alone on the other, and when everyone is ready just Blink on the other side to force a Barrel Roll.

Macros

/cancelaura Parachute

/targetexact Burning Tendons

/cast [target=focus] Arcane Blast

/assist

First macro cancels your parachute early on so you can start dpsing faster.
    Second macro is to make sure you don't waste any time selecting the Burning Tendons.
    Third macro is mandatory for breaking Fiery Grips, just put the Corruption on focus and voilą !
    Fourth macro is great if you have trouble targeting the Hideous Amalgamation when your platform is submerged by Corrupted Bloods, personally I just /assist one of the great melee DPS in the raid they usually target them pretty quick !

Optimal opener for Burning Tendons

Make sure you have 4 Arcane Blast stacks when Hideous Amalgamation is about to explode, have Mage Ward up for the first explosion, then use Mana Shield before the second to refresh Incanter's Absorption, precast Flame Orb towards the Armored Plate, pop Presence of Mind and Arcane Blast the Burning Tendons quickly enough so you don't lose your 4 stacks.

Tips

• Mana management is crucial as Arcane, so if you are not using Shard of Woe, make sure you have Evocation up after Burning Tendons burst, because you don't want to spend 1 minute with 40% mana.

• Whenever Evocation is up, you should be low mana and use it, if not, you're doing it wrong!

• Make sure you don't lose your 10 stacks of Combat Mind, don't hesitate to use instant casts like Arcane Explosion if the buff is about to fade.

Optimal spec Fire

Estimated DPS ranking TOP 1

Summary

Very long fight that requires heavy mana management. Your overall DPS will be higher depending on your raid setup, and also on how much you know how to DPS whore ! Remember, to really make an impact here, you have to understand how Spellweave works, so don't slack on those Regenerative Bloods !

Tips

• Make sure you are close to where you are supposed to stand during the whole period the Mutated Corruption is up so you don't have to move too much to get there.

• Depending on how early you use Combustion on Regenerative Bloods, you might be able to squeeze the next one during the Cataclysm phase. If not, just use it after you jumped to the next platform.

• In phase 2, precast a Flamestrike when Congealing Bloods are about to spawn (you see the fiery animation on the ground) then you just want to use Blizzard on them, as it procs Spellweave faster than anything else you could do (yes it's true!)

• Use Mana Gem as soon as it's up, use Evocation every 4 minutes meaning you should use it 3 times during this fight and summon new Mana Gem once.

• If somehow you are still low on mana (remember Blizzard drains your mana really fast so make sure you don't waste a cast), use Mage Armor while switching to different platforms, then switch back to Molten Armor.
    Last edited by Blatty; 22nd March 2012 at 03:05.

Epic guide Blatty , I'm sure many mages will learn a lot from it. Thanks

i honestly didnt understand the importantly of the stolen stack stacking so thank you very much blatty :)

Heya Blatty! Awesome guide!
    I have a question: what's the difference between the most recent version of CombustionHelper and the one you are using (2.7.16)? I don't quite get that "total" thing. Can you elaborate on this please?

My version adds up every dot on the target and gives you a "total" which is a higher number than new version where you just get numbers for the ignite.

It's just a personnal preference, feel free to use the latest version and get used to the ignite numbers.

Do I have to stack up stolen time before I use Combustion? I have tried that but it doesn't seem to be a big damage increase, and I don't really know how to get a good number on my combustion, I usually just make sure my ignite is over 12k damage and I have my other dots up to use combustion

How do you make combustion hitting that hard on ultraxion, i have been standing for a while trying to make it hit for a lot now but just can't get it higher then total of like ''27''k as max.

I would love a few tips on my gear aswell if you the time for it : http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Azyra/advanced

A few things, i know my gear is not as good as it could be, but i kinda never find stuff that drops for me. But what would you say that i should change, i have a lot of valor points so what should i buy now for my valors aswell. Any help would be amazing. :)

Legendary and mucho crits in a row are the key's to big combustions :>

Quote Originally Posted by Grimreaper View Post
    Do I have to stack up stolen time before I use Combustion? I have tried that but it doesn't seem to be a big damage increase, and I don't really know how to get a good number on my combustion, I usually just make sure my ignite is over 12k damage and I have my other dots up to use combustion
    Yes you do. It has nothing to do with damage increase, if you read the tooltip it says it will allow you to reduce it's CD.

Ignite's damage depends on your gear mostly, and on your crits/luck with munching. 13k is really low though I would aim for higher than that.

Quote Originally Posted by MuLLvaD3n View Post
    How do you make combustion hitting that hard on ultraxion, i have been standing for a while trying to make it hit for a lot now but just can't get it higher then total of like ''27''k as max.

I would love a few tips on my gear aswell if you the time for it : http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Azyra/advanced

A few things, i know my gear is not as good as it could be, but i kinda never find stuff that drops for me. But what would you say that i should change, i have a lot of valor points so what should i buy now for my valors aswell. Any help would be amazing. :)
    Your gear is pretty bad, so 27k is an "okay" ignite value I would say, though still low.

Few tips for your gear.

• Get two great professions, like tailoring / engineering high enough so you can benefit from their boosts.

• 65 mastery enchant on your gloves and 50 hit on your boots and what's up with the orange gem in the red slot in your shoulders? 40 int > 20 int 20 crit.

• Buy Valor Points cloak, it's BIS, put a 50 int gem in that. Buy Valor Points necklace and belt too. Get 4 piece from LFR, it's a good dps increase (more combustions).

• You read my guide yet you are still using the wrong spec & glyphs. Change this.

• Study my guide more :p
    Last edited by Blatty; 30th May 2012 at 20:23.

Ignite's damage depends on your gear mostly, and on your crits/luck with munching. 13k is really low though I would aim for higher than that.
    Okay I'm not really sure how high I should be going for, and most of the time when I try to get it higher my ignite falls of and I have to start over again

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...mreaper/simple any idea what kind of combustions I should be doing with this gear?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast