Glyphs
    Stats
    Gear
    Reforge & Enchants
    Professions & Consumables
    UI and Getting Started
    Playstyle
    The Rotation

Hello and welcome to the Balance Druid guide, In this guide I hope to cover the basics of the class and start to show you some of the move advanced moonkin play. Balance Druids have had a lot of attention in Mists of pandaria and look to be one of the strongest raiding specs going into the expansion.

Which Race should I pick?

The simple answer here is - if your horde you go Troll ( Berserking is an amazing CD )
    if your alliance you go Worgen ( 1% crit is also insane for a boomkin )

As I'm sure you've all noticed the talent system has been completely redesigned for MoP. Giving us one out of 3 choices per 15 levels.

This is your basic set of talents for Mists. Although ill cover all talents that can be useful.

Tier 1

Wild Charge - This talent allows us to cut down on the time we would normally use to move around during combat. While in Moonkin form casting Wild Charge will cause us to bounce backwards ( think hunter disengage ).
    While in Human form casting wild charge will cause you to fly towards a friendly target, almost like an anti life grip. This can be used to get to places in a hurry as you can charge to your own mushrooms if placed well, as well as to a friendly player.

Feline swiftness - Not much to say here, it's a static 15% run speed which again will cut down on the time you have to move, although I don't think it has the same utility as Wild Charge

Tier 2

Nature's Swiftness - A very good talent for PvP and PvE, being able to throw out instant heals and CC. I prefer this talent over renewal due to being able to throw out the heals onto another player to help out the healers, as well as some bosses requiring us to CC adds this comes in handy.

Renewal - Heals you for a flat 30% of your health, good for some fights if you're going to be taking a lot of damage at a specific point.

Tier 3

Typhoon - Works exactly how it did in Cataclysm except for it now deals no damage, it's purely there as a knockback.

Faerie Swarm - Slows the target by 50%, this can be good on some encounters where you have to kite mobs. But I still prefer typhoon overall.

Tier 4

Incarnation - One of the new cooldown's Balance druids got and it provides us with a lot of burst when combined with lunar eclipse. Remember the damage buff from this only affects are damage during eclipse.

Soul of the Forest - With good gear this talent doesn't get close to Incarnation however it can pull ahead when playing with low haste rating.

Tier 5

Ursol's Vortex - Is really the best choice in this tier, the other 2 talents won't get used enough to make them worth it in PvE. This talent can really come in handy for keeping adds off tanks to give the healers a bit of a break. Other than that none of these 3 get used a lot in PvE.

Tier 6

Nature's Vigil - provides us with another damage cooldown, but this can be used during periods of intense raid damage due to the fact it will heal nearby targets for a % of the damage you deal. Timing this right can potentially stop a wipe by helping out you healers.

Dream of Cenarius - I really dislike this talent although on a complete patchwerk fight it does pull ahead of NV. Although I would wait until you obtain your 4 set before using it as having to heal constantly before dotting can get very frustrating.

Major

There are 4 main options here, although one of them depends on your talent choice.

- [Glyph of Stampede] is very nice, being able to cast stampeding roar without wasting the global going into cat form

- [Glyph of Stampeding Roar] again a very nice glyph and almost guarantees every raid member will get the speed increase

- [Glyph of the Moonbeast] this glyph completely depends on if you're using Dream of Cenarius, because if you're not chances are you won't do much healing in Boomkin from making this a waste

- [Glyph of Rebirth] same as before, causes the target of your rebirth to return to 100% health, I would swap this one around with Glyph of the Moonbeast if you're using Nature's Vigil

Minor

These glyph's are now completely aesthetic, the only 2 worth mentioning are

- [Glyph of the Stars] stops you looking like a moonkin and instead you look like a priest in shadow form ( just more blue )

- [Glyph of the Stag] players can now mount you while you're in stag form

First of all, always wear leather. No matter what the intellect upgrade it will never outweigh Leather Specialization. Having just one cloth item equipped means you loose its bonus.

Intellect > Hit = Spirit > Crit > Haste > Mastery

Your aiming for 15% Spell hit.

Intellect is the most powerful stat and should be stacked as much as possible. Hit / spirit is a must after intellect, missing as a Boomkin can be very rough as it's an potentially an extra spell to get into eclipse. After that follow the stat priority of Crit > haste > mastery.

Meta: Always use the Burning Primal Diamond
    Blue: Blue gems should only be gemmed with Purified Imperal Amethyst unless your hit capped in which case you should be using Smooth Sun's Radiance
    Red: You should be using Smooth Sun's Radiance if you find yourself under hit cap you can look at using Precise Primordial Ruby
    Yellow: You should be using Smooth Sun's Radiance

Raid Bis List

Head: Helm of Eternal Blossom's
    Neck: Korven's Amber-Sealed Beetle
    Shoulders: Eternal Blossom Mantle
    Chest: Eternal Blossom Vestment
    Waist: Stonebound Cinch
    Legs: Fear Blackened Leggings
    Feet: Asani's Uncleansed Sandal's
    Wrists: Pearlescent Butterfly Wristband's
    Hands: Eternal Blossom Glove's
    Finger1: Fragment of Fear Made Flesh
    Finger2: Watersoul Signet
    Trinket1: Essence of Terror
    Trinket2: Light of the Cosmos
    Back: Cloak of Overwhelming Corruption
    Main Hand: Kritak Imperial Scepter of the Swarm
    Off Hand: Tornado Summoning Censer

Dungeon BiS list

Head: Hood of Viridian Residue
    Neck: Mindbreaker Pendant
    Shoulders: Incarnadine Scarlet Spaulders
    Chest: Chestwrap of Arcing Flame
    Waist: Hurricane Belt
    Legs: Leggings of Whispered Dreams
    Feet: Airstream Treads
    Wrists: Star Summoner Bracers
    Hands: Rattling Gloves
    Finger1: Beastbinder Ring
    Finger2: Alemental Seal
    Trinket1: Vision of the Predator
    Trinket2: Flashfrozen Resin Globule
    Back: Vision of the Predator
    Main Hand: Staff of Trembling Will

Reforging

For reforging you will need to follow the priority of
    Hit / Spirit ( to 15% ) > Crit > haste > mastery
    In short this means you should always reforge out of mastery into Crit or Haste depending on what other stat is on the gear after your Hit capped. If you are hit capped always reforge out of Hit / Spirit first until you're as close to hit cap as possible ( never under it ).

Enchants are pretty straight forward. Here is what you should generally go for:

Shoulders: Greater Crane Wing Inscription
    Back: Enchant Cloak - Superior Intellect
    Chest: Enchant Chest - Glorious Stats
    Wrist: Enchant Bracer - Super Intellect
    Hands: Enchant Gloves - Greater Haste
    Belt: Living Steel Belt Buckle
    Legs: Greater Cerulean Spellthread
    Boots: Enchant Boots - Pandaren's Step -- Enchant Boots - Greater Haste
    Weapon: Enchant Weapon - Jade Spirit
    Offhand: Enchant Off-Hand - Major Intellect

Consumables - Don't half arse it, you should always be using Flask of the Warm Sun and Food buff you should use is Mogu Fish Stew .
    Also remember to use Potion of the Jade Serpent before the pull and during BL or your 2nd set of CD's.

As for professions choice, Blacksmithing and Tailoring are the two best for a Boomkin, Blacksmithing will gain us 2 extra sockets, equal to +640 crit rating and Tailoring provides us with Lightweave Embroidery

UI and Getting Started

Personally I wouldn't even do anything till you download BalancePowerTracker and a DoT timer, I use ForteXorcist but there are many others dot timers out there. BalancePowerTracker is an alternative to the standard Eclipse tracking UI given by Blizzard and will make your life a lot easier, it shows the effect your next spell will have on your eclipse energy saving you having to do the quick mental math. You're going to want to be able to track your DoT's on mobs you aren't targeting so using an addon like tidyplates or Platebuffs can do this, this allows much better control when attempting to multi dot and 'roll' dots on a lot of mobs at the same time.

Here is links to the addons I consider a must for playing Boomkin.

Balance Power Tracker
    ForteXorcist
    AZCastBar

>>>>>> My UI <<<<<<

Playing Your Boomkin

First ill introduce a couple of the new spells that boomkins get:

Celestial Alignment - Simultaneously grants us the benefits of both eclipse's, refreshes the CD on starfall and causes are moonfire to apply the sunfire dot as well

Astral Communion - Allows us to channel for 4 seconds, gaining 25 lunar OR solar energy each second, we can use this to quickly get into an eclipse or to set up for the pull.

First thing you're going to need to get your head around is the idea of the Eclipse bar and the 4 stages you can be in. Pre Lunar, Lunar Eclipse, Pre Solar and Solar Eclipse.

Pre Lunar - You are building Energy to reach a Lunar Eclipse, you have no bonus damage at this stage. To gain Energy and move towards this Eclipse you cast Wrath. (Starsurge also moves you in the direction your already travelling) During this phase wrath generates 30 energy and Starsurge generates 40 energy

Lunar Eclipse - You are now in Lunar Eclipse, when in this state you receive a minimum 41% damage buff to Arcane Spells + benefits of more mastery on Moonfire, Starfire, Starfall, Starsurge and Hurricane. Upon entering Lunar Eclipse your starfall cooldown will reset and your starsurge + starfires will consume 20 energy

Pre Solar - You are now moving out of a Lunar Eclipse after casting enough Starfire's/Starsurges and enter a phase where u are moving towards your next eclipse without any damage modifications. During this phase your starsurge's and your starfire's will generate 40 energy each

Solar Eclipse - You are now in a Solar Eclipse and receive a 41% damage buff to your Nature spells + more from Mastery on Wrath, Hurricane, Mushrooms, Sunfire, Typhoon and Starsurge. During this phase your wrath will consume 15 energy and your starsurge will consume 20

Basically to move your Eclipse bar, you cast Wrath until Lunar procs and cast Starfire until Solar procs. Gets more complicated when your thinking of when to refresh Dots and also thinking about what Eclipse you want to be at a given time.

The Rotation

Now it's time to get into the rotation, In general the Boomkin rotation is fairly simple, we swap between eclipse's by casting wrath and starfire at the appropriate time while keeping our dots up - Sunfire + Moonfire.

The opener :

Ok so this is the most complicated bit of the Boomkin rotation, Ill list out all the spells in order.

Firstly were going to be casting Astral communion until were one cast off lunar eclipse.

Always remember to pre pot just before the pull.

Then open up with

Starfall
    Wrath
    Moonfire
    Sunfire

Here we pop our cooldowns - Incarnation, Nature's Vigil + Berserk ( if your troll )

Starfall
    Starsurge
    Starfire - till 0 energy - replace starfire with a starsurge proc whenever possible

Now we pop Celestial Alignment

Moonfire ( this will now apply sunfire due to Celestial Alignment )
    Starfall
    Starfire spam - replace with starsurge whenever possible ( cast this until Celestial alignment ends and we enter solar eclipse )

From here we go back to the normal rotation
    Make sure to keep moonfire + sunfire up 100% of the time.
    Swap between eclipses, starfall on cooldown
    Starsurge on cooldown

The only time we will change the rotation is when our cooldowns come back up, when they do head towards lunar eclipse and repeat the opener.

When movement comes into play the best thing to do is to just spam moonfire + sunfire, this will help maintain your dps with the initial damage as well as saving globals later that would of been spent refreshing dots.

Aoe

A lot has changed for Boomkin aoe since cataclysm, shrooms have now been aoe capped ( this means that at 10 targets and over our mushrooms will do the same damage, just shared between the mobs ).
    Hurricane has now had a massive buff and scales from lunar eclipse, this means lunar is now our aoe eclipse. The way I have found best is to apply moonfire to all targets ( not sunfire ) and then chain cast hurricane while keeping up moonfire on all target.

Last edited by Zamey; 9th December 2012 at 21:43.

Whenever I use Astral Communion before a fight, I seem to always end up in Solar Eclipse. How do I change that? And an you just explain to me why crit is better than haste?
    Anyhow Great Guide and thanks for the help!

Just keep casting Astral communion untill you are in desiered eclipse, it goes to the direction your currently point to.

Oh so simple, didnt know that worked...

Crit is currently better then haste due to our dot crits procing Shooting Stars for our insta starsurges which deal so much damage. Haste also lost a bit of value as we have alot less downtime between eclipses with the euophoria buff.

Two small items I noticed regarding the rotation:

First, I believe it is better to pre-pot, Starfall, Wrath, THEN pop all CDs due to our DoTs being fixed damage based on current buffs; they don't gain a damage boost when Incarnation/NV are popped if they are already on the target.

Second, it is a DPS boost to apply Sunfire THEN Moonfire when you first hit Lunar Eclipse due to Lunar Shower. When in Solar Eclipse, Moonfire should come first followed by Sunfire. That way the eclipsed DoT gains a damage boost.

Hey,

As for dotting when you have cooldowns up i prefer not to as currently my dots fall as my lunar eclipse does meaning it lines up perfectly with celestial alignment aswell as the fact i think its better to use as much time as you can during your cooldowns casting starfire / starsurge and wasting the 2 globals on dotting once there popped doesnt help.
    And for applying sunfire > moonfire going into solar, yes it is better at time but it can also increase the downtime on your dots if moonfire drops first and then you wait until after sunfire to reapply it, it seems more effective overall to place on of the dots before the other on all occasions, which one doesnt really mastter as coming out of CA, both dots drop at exactly the same time.

Thank you for your nice guide^^

but i think there are some points you are wrong.

Statweights & gemming
    in t14, simulationcraft shows this stat values: Int = 1, SP = 0.84, Hit = 0.80, Crit = 0.46, Haste = 0.40, Mastery = 0.40 (depending on ur currend gear this could change slightly)

With this statvalues in mind, i dont think gemming 320 crit =147 is better than 160 int=160 in a red socket, especially with an int socket bonus. even in a yellow it is better to have 80int/160crit=153 than 320crit=147.
    due to reforging its better to have the socketbonus on a blue gem and put a int/spirit in it and reforge other spirit off your gear than put a yellow in it and waste the bonus.

Professions
    Crafting Professions have all 320 Int as a bonus but leatherworking with 330int
    what you said is not right with the statvalues in mind.
    640crit in the two sockets will only give 294,5 instead of leatherworking for 330.
    Tailoring gives a huge int buff but its random and only for 15 seconds, if you have a bad day it could proc every time you are outside of eclipse...

For this i think Leatherworking with 330int and Engineering with the synapse springs wich you can use every minute with your eclipse or with extra raid dmg buffs or trinkets and with other support stuff like rocketboots, jeeves, parashoot etc. are the 2 best professions atm.

Rotation (with engineering)
    as the other commend above said, the starting rotation should be :
    plant mushrooms, AC 1 before lunar
    pot
    starfall (fight starts)
    wrath
    ink & nv (~30seconds trinkets with 3 min cd)(now your engineer gloves have cd)
    sunfire
    moonfire
    starsurge
    starfire (starsurge on proc) until 0 Energy (or until your gloves are rdy)
    ca + berserk + gloves
    Moonfire
    Starfire +Mushrooms (starsurge on proc) until 1 second remaing on ca
    moonfire (this gives the dots all benefits for the last time)
    starfire (starsurge on proc) until solar eclipse
    wrath (starsurge on proc) until one wrath away from leaving eclipse
    moonfire
    sunfire

From now on normal rotation but ive tried some things and i get better dps with this :

wrath until lunar eclipse
    moonfire only (the solar buffed sunfire is still up)
    starfall
    starfire (starsurge on proc) till 1 cast away from eclipse end
    sundfire
    moonfire

with this you wont have a 100% uptime of dots but you only waste some uneclipsed ticks, but you have 1 more gcd and if you r doing it right you get both dots at the end of eclipse with ng buffed.
    Last edited by Samso; 9th October 2012 at 14:36.

A few people have argued its better to go int > crit gems, if the stat values your posting are right then it is better to go int gems, but the stat values that ive seen and been getting valued hit around 0.6 making crit gems better then int gems unless your getting an intellect socket bonus so you would go for orange gems.

Tailoring is still well worth going, the proc has a high proc chance and its also guaranteed to be up in your opener which gives us some amazing burst.

The problem with engineering is that while synapse springs is a good CD, the static int when worked out really isnt that good, as for the other tinkers like rocketboots ( not counting jeeves etc... as its not a dps increase ) aren't really that helpful for a druid, if you have to move somewhere fast you have catform sprint, stampeding roar, wild charge ( if specced ).

As for the rotation, from what ive tested on beta + live, the dps difference between your rotation and mine is small, but i find myself doing more dps when i use my rotation, only reapplying dots when on the move or they are about to fall off. Aswell as dotting before popping NV + Incarnation s its been more beneficial to spend as much of that time as possible casting starfire / starsurge.

Hey Zamey! I'm playing feral druid and don't know if feral cat or moonkin is the best dps? What do you think is the best dps spec in MoP? I've been playing moonkin in cata and it was okey but now when I change to cat I cant get that good dps like the other fellas. Is boomkin higher dps in the raid/raids? Or am I just unused to play feral? I've exp in moonkin so know what to do also. / Nax =)

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast