MoP Hunter Guide - Page 11
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: MoP Hunter Guide

Hey guys, sorry for being absent from this thread for the past few weeks (more like months). Have been kinda busy lately with exams and VP capping...

Anyway, the guide has been updated for patch 5.1! Check the OP for the RED parts. I also took the time to answer to most of the questions in the thread that I hadn't had a chance to do so far.

Quote Originally Posted by bezem View Post
    Hey.
    I have a question about the supposedly BiS trinket Terror in the Mists. No matter how I try to calculate it, Bottle of Infinite Stars HC always seems to come out better than Terror. Femaledwarf agrees with me also. Why do you have Terror listed as BiS trinket?
    Also, the combination Terror HC & Bottle HC seems to be better than any combination involving Relic of Xuen, according to FemaleDwarf and some other sites. What are your thoughts about that?
    You are correct, it was a mistake which I fixed now on the guide, thanks for pointing it out! :D

Quote Originally Posted by erbs101 View Post
    @To all Hunters
    With the recent hunter buffs and the new Aimed shot glyph do you think MM spec will be a viable one ?

If i recall the days in where MM where the top spec for hunters its bec the fight mechanics was MM friendly now that MM can be as mobile as any other specs do you think MM will be the top specs for hunter once again ?
    I don't think MM is quite there yet in terms of it being viable. It needs a little bit more love and then I will perhaps give it a shot. Who knows maybe at 5.2!

Quote Originally Posted by Makkan View Post
    Does anyone know what ranged wep is the best: Taoren, the soul Burner ( Normal with 500 gem ) from Lei shi or the Heroic bow from Emperor?
    The gun from normal mode Lei Shi is better with the gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalin View Post
    Hey Roger, with the recent shift in serpent sting damage does the value of mastery yet outweigh crit?
    No it doesn't, crit is still our best secondary stat.

Quote Originally Posted by Capricørn View Post
    Hey Roger,

Thanks for the great guide, but could you please update it to 5.1? I don't see an actual use of Lynx Rush since the new patch. Also some tips & tricks about every single boss will be much appreciated.
    I have stopped using Lynx Rush completely nowadays. I use AMoC with all specs. As for tricks for each boss fight, unfortunately I don't have the time to do such a thing :( Maybe I will do it for the next tier...

Quote Originally Posted by Speedshot View Post
    Hey Roger, how are you? :) I just wanted to ask if you still consider Barrage better than Glaive toss and if its really offering better DPS output than GT (considering the "miss" bugs due to target movement compared to the bigger amount of focus and channeling time of Barrage.
    Excellent question Speedshot. I will quote a nice research that my hunter mate Pottm did to answer your question:

Quote Originally Posted by pottm View Post
    glaive toss vs barrage vs power shot

* damage values taken from femaledwarf with my current gear
    * glaive toss damage assumes that both glaives hit all secondary targets, which isnt always the case.
    * barrage has more cast time than glaive toss

by adding a static 30k damage per minute to glaive toss (randomly estimated damage you gain in the 1.66 seconds cast time you save compared to barrage), glaive toss and barrage are pretty much equal on three targets.

didnt look at power shot any further since it appears to be bad!

additionaly

multi-shot only does more damage than glaive toss on >=7 targets. once again this is assuming both glaives hit all targets - imho we cant make this assumption on this high amount of targets. so this probably goes down to 5 or so targets in the real world.

i also want to point out that glaive toss' glaives have a high chance to "miss" (they simply dont do anything) on moving targets. that bug exists since beta and it hasnt been fixed since, even tho i reported it numerous times. that should be taken into consideration when comparing glaive toss vs barrage on fights 5 and 6 in heart of fear.
    Having linked that, I prefer using Barrage for most fights as Survival since it has huge burst on the openers with all the haste buffs making it a ~1sec channel and combined with Stormlash Totem(s). As BM I prefer Glaive Toss since i can squeeze it much easier in BWs than I can Barrages. Of course it all depends on the fight and the amount of targets, as shown on the graphs above.

Quote Originally Posted by Alth View Post
    Hey Roger, are you and the other Method Hunters on Survival spec because of the AOE heavy Heroic fights in Terrace, or is it actually a better spec than BM now? If it is, would BM be better than SV if I had the 4P T14 set bonus, considering the 16 second BW is a lot more effective than the 40% LNL chance, due to the 10 second cooldown on LNL.
    BM is better on some fights (single target fights mainly), SV is better on others. Overall the differences though are not that big. Survival performs decent on all fights, and is best for the harder fights (Will of the Emperor, Grand Empress, Sha of Fear, Protectors Elite). But mainly we play it because we like it more :D

You should check WoL to see for each fight which spec achieves the highest dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Amethon View Post
    Will there be a section on upgrades added? Not sure what to do about trinkets/weapons/best items to prioritise upgrading etc.
    As with most DPS classes, the rule for hunters upgrades is as follows:

weapon>trinkets>chest>pants>helm>shoulders>gloves>boots>belt>cloak-neck-rings>wrists (because wrists are 502 only)

If you are lazy though, you can use this AWESOME site: http://wowupgrade.com/

Remember that your 2nd upgrade is always most effective than your first (1/2-->2/2 > 0/2-->1/2)

Quote Originally Posted by GeeQuu View Post
    I wonder why you have the DMC trinket listed as BIS. Is it due to how often it procs?
    Fixed the mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by GeeQuu View Post
    Another thing; it seems more and more is SV. Will troll have better racials than orc?
    No, Orc is still the best race.

Quote Originally Posted by Jambi View Post
    Great guide bud. with all the changes you have made after 5.1 is there any way i can get you to change the rotation/opener/priority list section? only thing im not 100% sure about after the patch.
    Updated the rotation and openers!

Quote Originally Posted by jimakos84 View Post
    hello there fellow hunters. i was wondering about our opener: now that lynx rush puts a dot, does that dot stack if you use it before the first dot ends or does it replace it? i usually lynx rush,readiness and lynx rush again in like 4 seconds(after the first lynx rush ends). should i wait 15 seconds or am i doing it right atm?thanks in advance and btw, happy new year :P cheers
    As Alth responded underneath, I would advise you to move to AMoC instead of Lynx Rush. If you really want to keep playing with Lynx tho, you should wait and refresh the 9 stacks 1-2seconds before they fall off (so yea don't use it in like 4 seconds). Oh and Happy New Year!... oh wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Parvius View Post
    I feel like the best minor glyph choise would be : Cheetah , Pack and Revive pet
    Haven't found any use for Aspect of the Pack yet in raids, apart from running faster during thrash clearing and perhaps corpse running. Not that important.

Quote Originally Posted by Alth View Post
    "New Glyph: Glyph of Liberation. This glyph now causes Disengage to heal the Hunter for 5% of maximum health when used"

What do you think, useful for raids or not? It could potentially help out the healers quite a lot but I'm not sure if it is just a PVP talent.
    They first tried to implement this as a talent in the beta of MoP. My thought are the same as the last time that I contemplated whether this talent was good or not. It definitely helps, but you should never use it unless you are certain that:

a) You won't need to disengage anytime soon to avoid X damage.
    b) You won't get hit by anything else by disengaging (maybe there is some hot lava behind you).
    c) You are not all stacked up going through a burst healing phase, because you jumping backwards will mean that you will not benefit fully from the aoe healing that is going on at that moment, so you will end up getting less healing overall.

Of course, I will still take that glyph since there is an opening with the Marked for Death getting removed, and well... we don't really have anything else to take.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexenmeìster View Post
    Hi RB :) can u explaine how the proc works for a hunter... what do u do when u get a proc? :) for warlocks they refreshes there dots but what do hunters do? :)
    I assume you mean how do you plan for the procs, and their internal cooldowns. Since you can't really do much after they have proced :D

They mostly matter for BM hunters, since you might want to wait (5 seconds max) for some internal cooldown to reset before using your BW.
    As for Survival, on an extremely tight enrage boss (like Gara'jal was at the start), you can wait to use your Rapid Fire when you get your Bottle of Infinite Stars proc + pot to maximize dps. Of course always being careful that you don't end up using 1 less Rapid Fire overall due to waiting too much.

Quote Originally Posted by fistycuffs View Post
    BM has the highest single target DPS and has actual cooldowns, so generally play BM on any fight where there's mostly pure single target, or if there's aoe but it's insignificant (like Feng or Elegon). Once there's any significant element of AOE, survival becomes the better choice.

Here are examples for this tier:

SV: Stone Guard, Will, Amber-Shaper, Wind Lord, Grand Empress, Sha of Fear Heroic

BM: Feng, Gara'jal, Spirit Kings, Elegon, Vizier, Blade Lord, Garalon, Tsulong, Lei Shi

play SV on Protectors because the buff you get on heroic doesn't affect your pets.

On normal I would play BM because the buff doesn't exist there.

Basically, there are a lot of factors and you just have to learn and acknowledge the strengths of each spec and make a decision yourself. It's always better that way!

That's just my opinion though
    Pretty accurate answer fistycuffs. The only changes I would do are Tsulong and Feng. I prefer Survival for these fights. Tsulong because of Entrapment for day phase adds, and Feng because of the aoe in the purple phases. I end up playing Survival on all fights which is not bad at all, but if I had to play BM for some fight, it would have to be Gara'jal, Spirit Kings, Elegon, Vizier, Blade Lord and Lei Shi.

Hey Roger brown! i was reading the rotation and u forgot to put when to use the pot(vermin's bite) and Synapse Springs(engineering gloves).And does agility,crit, and mastery increases the damage of AMOC? Finally, i saw some people using the 500 stats buff(Crystal of Insanity) from a rare spawn(Sulik'shor). is that better than the 1k agility flask(spring blossoms)

Thank you,

Sparkels ravencrest-EU

493 ilvl
    Last edited by Sparkels; 24th January 2013 at 09:56.

Thank you for answering my previous question Roger. To you or anybody else, can I get some advice on what you think would be the best combination out of LFR bottle of infinite stars, LFR terror in the mists and the Arrowflight Medallion(shieldwall trinket)?
    Last edited by Alth; 24th January 2013 at 15:40.

Thank you for answering my previous question Roger. To you or anybody else, can I get some advice on what you think would be the best combination out of LFR bottle of infinite stars, LFR terror in the mists and the Arrowflight Medallion(shieldwall trinket)? - Alth

hey, if ur bm u should go for the 2 trinkets for more burst at the beginning if ur surv u should go for the shieldwall and bottle of trinket stars, because terror has 105 ICD which is very long and 20 sec amazing amount for crit which is best for bm.

PS:if u got Synapse Springs(engineering gloves) don't use the arrow flight medallaion because u have to wait 10 sec between each other to use

Hey Roger brown! i was reading the rotation and u forgot to put when to use the pot(vermin's bite) and Synapse Springs(engineering gloves).And does agility,crit, and mastery increases the damage of AMOC? Finally, i saw some people using the 500 stats buff(Crystal of Insanity) from a rare spawn(Sulik'shor). is that better than the 1k agility flask(spring blossoms)

Thank you,

Sparkels ravencrest-EU

493 ilvl
    Hey, You generally want to stack cd's, you always want to prepot and then when you have procs from trinkets blow cd's, it gives you massive burst, then just time your pot with your cd's, like pot with a lust and stampede = good and stuff like that, think of your engi strings the same way.

Roger already explained it here

I assume you mean how do you plan for the procs, and their internal cooldowns. Since you can't really do much after they have proced :D

They mostly matter for BM hunters, since you might want to wait (5 seconds max) for some internal cooldown to reset before using your BW.
    As for Survival, on an extremely tight enrage boss (like Gara'jal was at the start), you can wait to use your Rapid Fire when you get your Bottle of Infinite Stars proc + pot to maximize dps. Of course always being careful that you don't end up using 1 less Rapid Fire overall due to waiting too much.
    Also the flask is better, spring blossom's.
    Last edited by fistycuffs; 25th January 2013 at 08:08.

Pretty sure Crit is best for SV isn't it Sparkels? Although Crit is the best secondary for both specs I think it is more important for BM. I dont have engineering :)

Crit is the best secondary stat for both specs, in terms of it's importance to mastery and haste, it's more important for survival, since for BM mastery aint far off of crit.

As for the trinkets Arrowflight and bottle would be better, if you're talking lfr bottle and lfr leishi

Hey guys, do you think it could be worth going troll in 5.2 for the 5% increased damage to beasts?
    Last edited by fistycuffs; 26th January 2013 at 17:03.

pretty sure blizzard wont make any bosses beast, garalon was one and they diverted it as soon as they realized

Thanks a lot for the guide, Rogerbrown.

I have a question regarding BM rotation: Do you find it worthwhile to use explosive traps on single target boss fights, or is this considered a waste of GCD?
    Last edited by Wivyxx; 26th January 2013 at 20:06.

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast